Retro Makeup

Kristen von Riesen - Pure Anada Makeup Artist







It seems ironic that there is always a way to remake a retro makeup look! For one thing, if you’re truly going to rock a retro makeup look, you have to make it work for you. Just because a conventional retro look has thick black winged eyeliner and super nude lips, that doesn’t mean it will work for you. The great thing is that there is a way to make it work for everyone.
Wear a thick line of eyeliner if you have larger eyelids, or a thin to medium line for those with hooded or small eyes. If nude lipstick washes you out, wear a rosy lip color (like what I used in this look!). I love incorporating a peach cheek color, but it’s not for everyone. If peach isn’t your color, go with a soft rosy blush. Winged eyeliner can be tricky! Avoid winged liner if your eyes droop on the outer corners. If you’re uncomfortable applying winged liner, just don’t! Or if you want to try it but don’t want to commit with a liquid liner, make it a softer wing by applying black eyeshadow with an angled liner brush. Clean up the wing with a bit of concealer on an angled liner brush! You can fix any mistakes with just a bit of concealer.























Here is the look:
Face: Atlantic Bisque Liquid Foundation and Light Tinted Moisturizer blended together. Very Fair Concealer under the eyes. Retro makeup is all about matte - matte shadow, matte skin - so I used Matte Minerals to set the makeup. Cheeks: Always peachy cheeks for a retro look! Today I used Peony Loose Mineral Blush. I used Clouded Eyeshadow as my contour powder today! (because I also used it on my eyes) Lips: I usually do something matte and very nude for a retro look. But I saw a picture of a retro look done with a berry stain, and I loved how it looked. So I used Spindleberry Lip Shine smudged in really well with my ring finger. Brows: Cliff Brow Powder. Eyes: Highlight with Ivory Tower lightly under the arch of the brow, and in the inner corners of the eyelid, and just a touch on the eyelid itself. It's quite white, so you don't want to apply too much to the eyelid. I then took Clouded and blended it really well into the crease, and blended it into the Ivory Tower on the eyelid to soften the brightness of Ivory Tower. Smudge Clouded under the eyes too. Eyeliner: Black Mascara applied with an angled liner brush is my favorite winged look for a retro makeover. I like how it is a matte liner as opposed to the shiny line of liquid liner. Mascara: Loads of Black Mascara on the lashes (upper and lower). Retro mascara is a bit clumpy, so feel free to have fun with the mascara for this look!

Pure Anada - Natural Beauty Blog © . Design by Berenica Designs.