Makeup For Mature Skin

Kristen von Riesen - Pure Anada Makeup Artist

We receive a lot of requests for makeup looks for mature clients. So I am here to deliver!

We recently had Donna in our studio for just this purpose. I dolled her up, and she posed for Jacinta's camera. 


Isn't she just so naturally elegant? Look at those cheekbones!




Makeup for mature skin doesn't have to be boring and pale. In fact, it is a great idea to get some colour on the skin so it brightens your look. 

Back some 20 years ago, the rules about makeup (for any age/eye colour/skin tone) were more rigid. Nowadays, one can get away with anything! I simply love that about how the trends are moving currently.


That being said, there are some "rules" to keep in mind, that speak to a flattering look for mature women. But don't be afraid to put your own spin on your look, and go bold if that is who you are!


First of all, it is ALL about taking care of your skin. I cannot stress that enough. Use serums and moisturizers that are meant for your skin. Often as we age, our skin loses a lot of its natural moisture and elasticity. So use Repair Luxury Treatment with Revive Moisturizing Serum for your nighttime routine. Try Smooth Priming Serum with Berry and Bouquet Hydrating Cream during the day, underneath your makeup. For additional hydration, spritz your face with Garden Facial Mist or Marine Mineral Hydrating Toner before and after your makeup application.


Choose foundation and blush/eye shadow shades that are brightening for the skin. Use moisturizing products where possible (tinted moisturizer, liquid foundation, cream blush). Go for rosy blush shades, to give your skin some colour. 


It can be fun to use shimmery shadows, but keep those to a minimum as you age. It is a good idea to start moving toward demi-matte or matte shades for makeup. Shimmer tends to settle into fine lines, thus accentuating wrinkles.


If you have lost a bit of fullness in your lips over the years, you can fill them in with lip pencil followed by lipstick and/or lip gloss (which is what I did with Donna). The same thing goes for eyebrows - often as we age, we lose hairs (especially toward the ends of the brows). So you can fill them in and elongate them with brow colour.


Eyeliner is a great way to accentuate the shape and colour of the eyes. It is most flattering on mature women to keep the more dramatic line of eyeliner on the top lashline, and either leave the lower lashline bare or smudged with a soft eye shadow. I used this technique on Donna as well, by smudging shadow under her eyes instead of pencil.




Donna's Look:

Skin: I began with Smooth Priming Serum, followed by Berry and Bouquet Hydrating Cream.


Foundation: For Donna, I blended on some Liquid Foundation in Atlantic Bisque, followed by Liquid Concealer in Very Fair, and finished off her look with Loose Mineral Foundation in Atlantic Bisque. Using a loose mineral foundation after liquid foundation isn't usually necessary for mature clients. I used it for photography purposes only.


Cheeks: I love Nellie Lip and Cheek Rouge, which is what I used on the apples of Donna's cheeks. My, doesn't that give her such a nice flush of colour? I also used a little bit of Contouring Powder in Alluring for her look.


Brows: I swept on a little bit of Pressed Brow Powder in Smoke to her already full brows.


Lips: I don't often use lip liner, but I thought it would really flatter Donna and give her lips some fullness. I used Berry Pureline Pencil Lip Liner. I followed that with our new Lavish Lipstick in Eminence, and new Exquisite Lip Glaze in Plum.


Eyes: For Donna's look, I used the eye shadows from our Delicate Palette. This palette uses Darling as the highlight, which is quite sparkly. I went ahead and used it for Donna - I just made sure to keep it minimal. I started by applying Macchiato on her eyelid and crease. Then I patted on Water Lily onto her eyelid. I swept a bit of Haunt shadow to the outer corners of her eyes. Then I dabbed on a bit of Darling shadow to the inner eyelid, and under the brows to highlight. 


Eyeliner: I applied a nice solid line of Pureline Pencil in Black along Donna's upper lashline. I smudged both Macchiato and Haunt under her eyes - Haunt just to the outer half. Some women find that black can be too harsh as they age, in that case use brown or charcoal grey instead.


Mascara: I went with Black Mascara for both upper and lower lashes. Again, if you find black mascara too harsh, switch over to brown.







Pure Anada - Natural Beauty Blog © . Design by Berenica Designs.